El Segundo, California - 1/27/2017 10:00 am to 5/31/2017 04:00 pm
El Segundo, CA: The Automobile Driving Museum’s next exhibit, “A Woman’s Touch”, opens January 27th, 2017. The purpose of this exhibit is to recognize the impact that women have had on the automobile industry from the inception of the automobile to modern times. These women have been drivers, inventors, CEOs, writers, designers, race car drivers, and models.
“A Woman’s Touch” will portray the history of women in the automotive industry, the key players of yesteryear and today, the Sirens of Chrome and using women in advertising for car sales, and the role of the Automobile in the Suffrage Movement.
The exhibit will include:
· Shirley Muldowney’s restored 1977 World Champion Top Fuel Dragster and a meet and greet with Shirley (date TBD)
· President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt’s 1932 Plymouth Town Car by Brewster
· 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen replica in which Bertha Benz drove the first long distance drive
· Jean Peters 1955 Packard Caribbean Convertible – a gift to her from Howard Hughes
· 1914 Saxon representing the Saxon driven by Alice S. Burke during the Suffrage movement
· 1955 Nash Rambler representing the interior design by Helene Rother
· An interactive map showcasing the first woman (Alice Huyler Ramsey) to drive across the United States and the 125 city, 10,700 mile, 178 days Suffrage movement drive of Alice S. Burke and Nell Richardson.
The exhibit will run through May 31st, 2017.
Automobile Driving Museum: The mission of the Automobile Driving Museum is to collect, preserve, exhibit and ride in historic vehicles. We use our collection to present educational opportunities and displays that illustrate the aesthetic, engineering, and cultural evolution of the automobile.
We feature an historical line up of cars and marques from the 20’s and 30’s, many of which are no longer produced, such as the Packard, Durant and Saxon.
Our fleet is fueled and ready to go! Each Sunday we select three cars to provide rides for our guests. You can get up close and personal with our cars, and our dedicated and informed docents are available for tours to learn more.